It's NOT Barbie, it's 'The Beach!'

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lie #96: Co-pays are designed to ease our financial burdens.

Sickness seems to find our family. It doesn't matter what kind of vitamins my children are taking, how many times I was running a week, or whether my kids are eating their veggies; if my kids are destined for sickness, sickness will find them. Yesterday I stayed home with two sick children and took them to the doctor. My oldest boy has another sinus infection...why does he have to suffer so? The boy has not been able to breathe clearly through his nose in 5 years. No joke, here. So there goes $25 for a copay. My youngest has some strange rash that keeps spreading and I was worried it might be Fifth's disease. That would have been a blessing. Instead, she is likely allergic to amoxicillin which she was taking for her double, count 'em - two, ear infections. There goes another $25. My hubby took three of the kids to the doc the week before and had to pay $75 in copays and another $10 for an after hours phone call to the nurse. So then tonight my hubby and I are looking at our poor baby, who never complains, and thinking...this looks like it's getting worse. So, like suckers, we call the after hours line - ca-ching....$10 only to be told that we better bring her into the after hours clinic. That's a measly $50. The doctor tells me to give her Benadryl a few times a day. Thanks, I say. I almost flipped her off as she closed the door but remembered that the Lord is watching. He's always watching.

It gets better.

So then I go to the pharmacy. $57 in antibiotics and steroids. Ear infections still not gone, stuffy nose still stuffy. Last week, my hubby spent about $30 at the pharmacy. I forgot that the Lord can read minds also.

Grand total for the medical community? In co-pays? Drumm roll.....ca-chinga, ca-chinga

$$$282.00 Don't bother telling me if my math is wrong. Or my grammar.

Merry Christmas, kids! Enjoy your empty Rx bottles. Let's be creative and find all the ways we can make ornaments with the lids and a few pipe cleaners I swiped from my school supplies!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"I swiped from my school supplies!"

Doesn't the Lord consider that stealing? SINNER!

Jenny said...

I haven't done it, yet!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Ohhh, but thinking it is okay... Sounds a little screwy to me. It must me an Eastman thing... ;-)

mindyluwho said...

"must be that Eastman thing"...Do you get that all the time too Jen? All the dorky things I do get blamed on my Eastman upbringing...

As for the co-pays, I just quit going to the doctor about 10 years ago...saves a lot of money!

Elizabeth said...

I don't even know where to begin on commenting this. I was going to suggest filling the bottles with beads, creating a noise maker for Jessica. But once she puts it in her mouth, there's another trip to the doctor for you. Who knows what germs were on that one. You crack me up.