It's NOT Barbie, it's 'The Beach!'

Monday, May 10, 2010

Lie #17: Summer is Coming!

I love living in Colorado. The mountains are amazing, the air is crisp and clean, the folks are super friendly, and my kids can go outside without sweating to death. With that said, I am not sure if summer is really coming or not. It's May 10th and we still have a chance of snow this week! I naively thought Oklahoma was the only place where weather could turn on a dime. I think I can say with confidence that Colorado is worse! Either that, or I don't really know what it's like to live near the mountains where the summer season isn't as warm or as long as the Midwest!

I'm kinda bummed because the kids and I are swim junkies and wait all winter and spring for warm weather so we can don our suits, spray ourselves down with sunblock, pop on swim diapers (well, Jessica anyway!), slip on floaties - on our arms...not actually slip on floaties floating in the pool, sport sunglasses and flip-flops and hit all the fun pools we can find. Let me just say that last summer stank big time for us! I think we maybe went swimming 6 or 7 times and of those times, we got rained out a few times, froze to death in the cold water only to get out and freeze to death a second time from the wind a few times, or showed up and found the pool not what was pictured online. We never had a day where we just bathed in the warm water and basked in the glory of the sun. I'm hoping this summer will be much brighter. If we can only get through this weird weather.

5 comments:

alison said...

you're completely right!! it's not really worth going swimming till late july and august, and september when the pools are closed.

Alesa Larsen said...

Hang in there. I think you get used to the summer and you'll find it gets plenty warm.

amber o said...

I know we'll sure miss you at the water parks in tulsa!

: (

mindyluwho said...

Come to California. We have plenty of sun...

Angela said...

I went to camp a couple of summers in Colorado. One year we were there the end of June and it snowed!! Seriously that was so odd esp if you are from Oklahoma and could melt during the summer. P.S. we are going swimming today!!! BUT it has been soooooooooo humid here this week that it makes it hard to breathe!